NEW YORK — Today, the Ms. Foundation for Women announced its partnership with NBCBLK, NBCLatino, and NBC Asian America for Women’s History Month. Throughout March, they will spotlight women of color who through their actions and words are leading the way toward a more equal world. This multimedia digital campaign, combining daily profiles, videos, and longer-form pieces, will feature the voices and stories of 31 women of diverse identities, races, ethnicities, cultures, and ages.
“Conversations about women too often obscure the differences between women and the richness and complexity of women’s lives,” said Teresa C. Younger, President and CEO of the Ms. Foundation. “This Women’s History Month, we want to lift the stories of women and celebrate the complexity and richness of their lives. The women of color featured throughout the month are making history everyday as they work to create change in their communities.”
The series will feature 31 women across the country, including twelve Ms. Foundation for Women grantees as well as its President Teresa C. Younger.
The full list of grantees includes:
- Angeline Echeverria, El Pueblo
- Cristina Aguilar, Colorado Organization for Latina Opportunity and Reproductive Rights (COLOR)
- Andrea Serrano, OLÉ
- Rebecca Saldaña, Puget Sound Sage
- Tannia Esperanza, Young Women United
- Marissa Nuncio, Garment Worker Center
- Miriam Yeung, National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum (NAPAWF)
- Cherisse Scott, SisterReach
- Anika Campbell, Center for Frontline Retail (CFR)
- Cassandra Welchlin, Mississippi Low Income Child Care Initiative (MLICCI)
- Charon Asetoyer, Native American Women’s Health Education Resource Center (NAWHERC)
- Mary Ignatius, Parent Voices CA
Though this partnership was formed in celebration to honor women trailblazers, it is also a call to action and a reminder that the stories of women need to be told. Supporters are encouraged to join the conversation using the hashtag #31Days on social media in order to share their thoughts on feminism and the importance of lifting the voices of all women.
For over 40 years, the Ms. Foundation for Women has secured women’s rights and freedoms with a special commitment to building the power of low-income, immigrant and women of color. The foundation invests funds, time, expertise and training in organizations nationwide.