Major Gifts Officer (Campaign)
The Major Gifts Officer (Campaign) reports to the Senior Director of Advancement Strategy and is an integral member of the Ms. Foundation for Women’s Transformational Campaign Team. The Ms. Foundation aims to raise $30 million in a comprehensive campaign to prepare, impact, and sustain a field of brilliant feminist leaders who are poised to transform our society and advance our highest hopes and ideals for full gender and racial equity. Primary responsibilities include growing and actively managing a portfolio of approximately 100 donors and major gift prospects to meet a six- to seven-figure fundraising goal over three years; development of written materials for donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities; and prospect research to grow the network of philanthropists engaged with and supporting the Ms. Foundation. This role is a multi-year, fulltime, temporary position that will terminate at the conclusion of the Transformational Campaign. The Transformational Campaign is planned to conclude at the end of 2024. The Major Gifts Officer (Campaign) will work closely with permanent development staff to transition donors into permanent stewardship plans and portfolios at the conclusion of the campaign.
The Major Gifts Officer (Campaign) is responsible for identifying and hosting donor cultivation and solicitation opportunities through individual meetings, small events, and integrated communications (online and print), working in partnership with fundraising and communications staff to build messaging and outreach. This position requires work outside traditional business hours (evenings and weekends) in addition to regular presence in our Brooklyn offices. Regular travel (approximately 40% time) should be anticipated.
- Grow and manage a portfolio of approximately 100 individual donors through all stages of the fundraising cycle: identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Secure in-person meetings with donors and ensure all donor records are routinely updated in Raisers Edge, including contact reports, moves management, and documentation of other key milestones in the donor’s relationship with the Foundation.
- Collaborate with the Senior Director of Advancement Strategy and development staff on identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of campaign prospects and donors.
- With Senior Director of Advancement Strategy, regularly meet with and report to campaign committee.
- Coordinate a post-Campaign Stewardship plan with the Fundraising Team.
- Work with Foundation staff to learn about program updates for use in personalized proposals that match donor interests and programmatic priorities within the campaign. Develop knowledge of programmatic priorities and stay current on key political and legislative issues informing the Foundation’s work, in order to convey organizational needs and funding opportunities effectively to donors.
- Prepare and implement quarterly fundraising work plans, identifying activities and milestones to help achieve the larger revenue goals of the campaign, including monthly and quarterly revenue and activity goals for meaningful contact with donors and successful solicitations.
- Facilitate regular contact between volunteer and staff solicitors with campaign donors and prospects, including scheduling joint visits and preparing briefing and solicitation materials, as needed.
- Ensure appropriate donor recognition and benefits for portfolio.
- In conjunction with Foundation staff, coordinate donor cultivation events, including supporting Events Manager in securing appropriate venues and speakers, and coordinating invitations and RSVPs.
- Monitor and communicate donor updates to staff and volunteer solicitors to create a shared sense of success around fundraising activities and goals.
- Support the Senior Director of Advancement Strategy in preparing reports for the CEO, other senior leadership, and the Board of Directors, including meeting with the Campaign Sub-Committee of the Board Development Committee.
- Broad knowledge of the principles of fundraising and experience in all aspects of the gift cycle
- Skilled in relationship building. Has the ability to develop and maintain relationships quickly; comfortable interfacing with internal and external stakeholders
- Confidence and poise to work effectively with high net worth individuals
- Superior communication skills, able to thoughtfully and enthusiastically articulate a compelling case for support
- Ability to ask questions and demonstrate curiosity
- Skilled in maintaining accurate records and tracking systems
- Highly organized and efficient with strong project and time management skills
- Strong proactive sense of initiative and follow-through and accountability
- Must be self-motivated, energetic, and have the ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Has the ability to work effectively across cultures and demonstrates a commitment to learning, communicating and working respectfully with people who are different from themselves
- Commitment to the mission, values and philosophy of the Ms. Foundation
- A minimum of five years of professional experience with progressive responsibility in donor/client cultivation and fundraising.
- Proven experience managing a major gifts portfolio, making compelling asks, and closing high five- and six-figure gifts, preferably from individual donors. Experience with legacy giving and blended gifts a plus.
- Ability to independently organize and manage a high volume of donor contacts and projects, seeking input from others as needed;
- Knowledge of either Bay Area or Greater New York philanthropic landscape and/or funders that emphasize giving preferences aligned with the Ms. Foundation’s mission.
- A track record of working effectively with racially and ethnically diverse communities, partners, and allies.
- Exceptional communication skills. Excellent listening skills. Excels at articulating the Ms. Foundation’s mission, values, goals, and evaluation strategies to funders
- Proven writing and editing skills marked by clear and compelling communication of key points
- Excellent presentation and negotiation skills
- Ability to close a planned solicitation alone or work in a team to successfully present and close an ask
- Ability to interpret and analyze data around giving activities and trends
- Advanced skills in MS Office suite, especially Excel and Power Point;
- Proficiency with donor management software and generating reports. Experience with the Raiser’s Edge suite of services preferred.
- Commitment to the Ms. Foundation’s mission and vision and to working with diverse communities toward women’s safety, health and economic justice.
- Demonstrated commitment to, and accountability around actively living the Ms. Foundation’s values of integrity, trust and respect, interconnectedness, and social justice – throughout internal and external communications and relationships, work, and decision-making.
- Ability to build collegial, productive relationships with team members, grantees, donors, peer funders, volunteers, and institutional partners, through the lens of our organizational values.
The Ms. Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, marital or veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Location: Remote (during COVID). Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.