Strategic Communications Intern
Job Description: Fall/Winter Strategic Communications Intern
Applications Due: November 30, 2018
The Ms. Foundation for Women seeks a Strategic Communications Intern with a passion for social justice and gender equality, who wants to learn the basics of high-level communications strategy and advocacy for a non-profit organization. The Intern will be exposed to the importance of crafting internal and external-facing organizational narratives in service of strengthening the organization’s platform, building organizational partnerships, communicating mission, vision and values to supporters, rapid response and reputation management.
Interns will be assigned to work within the Strategic Communications team, and will report to the Communications Associate, but may collaborate with other divisions and teams as needed. Interns will be asked to focus on a range of projects, including longer-term and day-to-day/immediate tasks as assigned.
- Support the team’s efforts to help execute on the Foundation’s new strategic plan
- Help brainstorm content for the Foundation’s social media and digital platforms
- Assist in monitoring, analyzing and reporting on web and social media to brainstorm ways to enhance traffic and supporter participation
- Help update materials and collateral (flyers, merchandise) with new and dynamic messaging and design
- Learn how to draft fact sheets, press releases, media advisories, impact stories and other communication materials
- Assist with Ms. Foundation fundraising events and provide general administrative support as needed.
- Work across the Communications and Development teams to help draft emails and direct marketing assets
- Other duties as assigned
- Belief in gender and racial equity and social justice, especially related to safety, health and economic justice (SHE)
- Ability to handle confidential, sensitive information
- Strong professional writing skills
- Team player, diligent work ethic and keen attention to detail
- Willingness to learn from us and with us
- Ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- Social media “chops”: experience managing or helping to run an online community with the ability to help “whip up” an engaging social media post that follows best practice
- Digital savviness and ability to quickly learn and incorporate new digital tools
- Ingenuity in bringing fresh ideas to the communications discussion
- Demonstrated interest in current events, social good and the digital space
- A sense of humor
- Excellent computer skills including Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Strong social media and graphic design skills
Hours, location, and compensation:
- The position is located at the Ms. Foundation’s offices in downtown Brooklyn, NY
- The Ms. Foundation internship will offer a one-time stipend of $300 to offset travel and other incidental costs
- The intern should be able to make a minimum time commitment of 20-25 hours per week.
How do l apply?
- To apply, please contact Andréa Bradford, Director, Human Resources, at the Ms. Foundation for Women
- Please send your résumé and cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please include three (3) writing samples: two social media posts and one additional written piece of no fewer than 500 words
About the Ms. Foundation for Women
For over 40 years, the Ms. Foundation for Women has worked to build women’s collective power in the U.S. to advance equity and justice for all. The Ms. Foundation invests in, and strengthens the capacity of women- led movements to advance meaningful social, cultural and economic change in the lives of women. With equity and inclusion as the cornerstones of true democracy, the Ms. Foundation works to create a world in which the worth and dignity of every person are valued, and power and possibility are not limited by gender, race, class, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or age.
The Ms. Foundation for Women is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our equal employment philosophy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, training and promotions. We shall continue to adhere to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity to ensure that all applicants and employees are considered for hire, promotion, position status and other employment actions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or orientation, gender expression, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, socioeconomic status, marital status, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.