Date: October 2021
Title: Communications Coordinator
Reports to: Sr. Communications Manager
People Manager: Y __ N X
Location: New York City
Level or Compensation information: The annual salary range for this position is $60,000 to $68,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. We also offer a generous and comprehensive range of benefits.
The Ms. Foundation is seeking a dynamic and creative mission-driven Communications Coordinator who will be instrumental in the implementation of a wide-range of communications activities that support the Foundation’s programmatic work and fundraising, while also increasing the organization’s visibility and audience engagement. This role works across all of the Foundation’s channels and digital presence including social media, email, website, fundraising and cause awareness campaigns, public relations, and more.
As a key member of the team, you will harness the many opportunities in which the Ms. Foundation can continue to communicate our impact, advocate for gender and racial equity and amplify grantee partners, with a significant focus on social media and content development. The Communications Coordinator reports to the Sr. Communications Manager.
- Collaborate with senior staff and provide support on the planning, execution, project management and evaluation of strategic communications plans
- Manage the editorial/events calendar and help plan content roll-out across platforms
- Bring creativity and energy to help identify growth areas, learn and recommend emerging best practices and technologies to improve our work
- Write, edit, and contribute to emails, newsletters and other communications as assigned
- Help ensure brand consistency across messaging, collateral, and channels
- Engage in media relations and help research media opportunities and contacts as needed
- Provide ongoing support to Advancement team on events, campaigns and other fundraising efforts
- Collaborate across departments with staff and partners to provide support and guidance on communications best practices
- Coordinate and execute social media campaigns and ensure alignment with brand and mission
- Help grow and refine an effective social media strategy; co-liaising with external social media consultant and contributing to day-to-day social media operations
- Track, capture, and analyze social media efforts, including weekly and monthly reporting
- Re-launch blog and consistently produce high-level written and storytelling content to engage multiple audiences
- Help manage the process for capturing and organizing photo and video assets
- Assist and contribute to the production, editing and design of videos, graphics and other collateral created internally or with external consultants
- Work with programs team to identify storytelling opportunities
- Assist with the management of website redevelopment project and upcoming website launch
- Respond to requests and manage website content updates in timely manner
- Monitor and report regularly on website analytics respond to user requests and comments
The right candidate is a strategic thinker and problem solver with strong attention to detail who thrives in a fast-paced environment. Candidates should have:
- 3-5 years of relevant, progressive communications experience; experience with nonprofit/advocacy organizations preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations or related field
- Excellent writing and editorial skills are essential with high attention to detail and understanding of voice, nuance, and audience. Must be able to take complex issues and distill for audiences across channels
- Expertise with social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and TikTok, and management tools like Sprout, Falcon.IO, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically across a range of internal and external constituents.
- Experience in tracking communications metrics, analyzing, and reporting
- Experience with website management and using CMS such as WordPress
- Proven leadership and project management skills; able to take initiative and handle multiple projects simultaneously while managing shifting priorities
- Possess basic level of graphic design, media relations and event planning skills
- Able to exercise good judgment and maintain confidentiality with critical and sensitive information
- High level of proficiency using all Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Skills and experience with photography, video editing and digital asset management platforms (such as Widen Collective) are a plus
- Flexibility to occasionally work evening events and travel as needed
- Demonstrated commitment to the Foundation’s mission and vision and to working with diverse communities toward women’s safety, health and economic justice
- Demonstrated commitment to, and accountability around actively living the Foundation’s values of integrity, trust and respect, interconnectedness, and social justice – throughout internal and external communications and relationships, work, and decision-making
Currently, Ms. staff are working from home, with an option to work from our Brooklyn offices on specific days to ensure the safety of everyone. Upon full office reopening, this position is located in our Brooklyn office.
The Ms. Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, disability, socio-economic status, marital or veteran status, or sexual orientation.